Wednesday, July 20, 2011

SC430 Antenna Mast Removal & Replacement

Going with a non-security post here to provide some helpful information that can be somewhat hard to find.


Choosing an Antenna
First, you need to get a replacement antenna. I ordered one from the ebay seller "tt_motor", which was far from OEM quality (as claimed) and it did not fit. He quickly gave me a refund, and then I ordered an antenna from "laynlow1". This was also a fairly cheap chinese antenna. I heard these cheap antennas get quite a bit less reception than the OEM ones. After several months of use, it stopped extending all the way unless I was pulling on it as it went up. It made a grinding noise. Perhaps the wind bent this flimsy metal? I tried greasing it, but never had any luck.  I'm all about saving money, but in this case I couldn't find a good quality aftermarket replacement (please comment if you have). Next, I went with a OEM antenna from http://lexus.sewellparts.com/. It was ~$60 shipped with my discount for being a clublexus member.  The unit was noticeably higher quality than the ones I've ordered off ebay.  It fixed my grinding noise, but I just installed it last night at the time of this writing.  Update: I sold this car in 2015 and the antenna still operated without issues.

Replacing the Antenna
This is a two-person job.
  • Remove the antenna retaining nut.  Be careful not to scratch it.
  • With the key in the ignition switch "LOCK" position, press the "AM" and "DISC" buttons on the radio simultaneously with turning the ignition switch to "ACC". Then the radio "LCD" display will read "ANT" and the antenna mast will hyper-extend, disengaging the cable. You can let go of the "AM" and "DISC" buttons now.
  • With the ignition switch still in "ACC", the new cable is inserted to a full stop into the motor antenna assembly through the mast pipe hole in the body panel, with the teeth on the antenna cable toward the rear of the vehicle. 
  • As the person in the driver's seat switches the key to "LOCK", feed the cable and mast pipe in. 
  • After it retracts completely, replace the retaining nut.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the easy instructions. Broke the original antenna at the car wash. Took 5 min and most of that was getting the retaining nut off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if the plastic cable breaks off in the housing how do you get to it for a 2002 LS430

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect instructions by Alex. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex just wanted to ay a huge thanks on the SC430 stereo antenna removal. Found the antennal on ebay it arrived in the UK from the States after only 3 days in the post. I even managed to remove the locking nut with no scratches to the body work but could I remove the plastic cable from the motor!! Could I heck 5 minutes yanking it wondering if I was just being weak. An internet search and your blog comes up "push AM and Disc and turn ignition on" one antenna and cable pops out, 2 mins later the new antenna is fitted and working. Thanks ever so much for that bit on info Im now off to take the praise of the good lady.

    All the best

    Ian in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome instructions>> worked perfectly!!!!

      Delete
    2. I have watched 4 videos and am so glad I found this! I will replace mine as soon as the replacement arrives.

      Delete
  5. A GREAT BIG HELP....................Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wish to echo Ian's comments - logical, easy to follow instructions that ment the job was finished in a couple of minutes. Only addition is in the event that the ferule/contact-sleeve remains in the housing then use a pair of long nosed pliers to gently work it free. FYI I purchased my aerial on eBay from a company called Car-mast-UK at a cost of £20 (Lexus quoted £70 for parts and £60 for labour). I'll update this post should I experience any issues.
    Once again many thanks to Alex for the original post and Ian for the endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great help. Total time spent was less than 5minutes. Sure beat taking the whole motor unit out as seen on other websites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge help- thanks very much

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s really very useful information for becoming a better Blogger. Keep sharing, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. My original radio is replaces with Sirius XM radio so the cable does not disengage when I push AM and Disk at the same time. What now?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mast was bent, found this advice. Accomplished change in 5 minutes as others have reported.EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have removed the power antenna from my 2006 SC430 and want to test the motor operation. I bypassed the relay and applied 12 volts directly to the motor. Nothing ! Help !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. I removed the old antenna with the full plastic piece intact. When I try to feed the new one in, the motor pulls it in for a few inches and then stops and it won’t go in anymore. Any ideas? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete