Sunday, November 4, 2012

RTLSDR in Virtualbox

To get rtlsdr working in Ubuntu 12.04 in virtualbox, just run the gnuradio build script and you can enable usb 2.0 (you'll need to install an extension pack).  It took it several minutes for the device to attach the first time (I was only using USB 1.1), so be patient (I thought it originally wasn't working).

While either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 is chosen, the sample rate through virtualbox is still low enough that it's dropping packets at every sample rate I've tried, so I would not recommend it.  It does get enough valid data that you could probably work with it in many scenarios, so it's better than nothing, but I would not use rtlsdr in a VM if you can avoid it.

You will frequently need to disconnect and reconnect your rtlsdr since it seems to lock up every once in a while, just as it does on a physical machine, but it seems to happen more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment